Friday, September 19, 2014

The Beauty Experiment - facing the real world

Since I am down to another four weeks of antibiotics, one of the 'highlights' of my everyday life is going grocery shopping. I meet neighbors or people I know, I spend most of my time in the veggie section or in the newspaper section and I know most of the cashiers working at the checkout.



Recently, I noticed that a new cashier started working at my local supermarket. I haven't seen him before. When it was my turn to pay, the line behind me was short and he wasn't busy. Still, he wasn't open for a quick chat or a smile. One could say, that is due to his mood or whatever.
When I went there a few days later, I saw him again. This time he treated me really friendly and was all smiles.
Wonder what the difference was between the 'ugh, another customer' and the 'let's chat a bit'? Simple as that: The first time around I went shopping without make up on. The second time I was wearing make up since I was ready for a meeting later on.

I know that make up and fashion items can have a big impact on your surroundings, but I am still surprised when I notice how differently people treat me when I am wearing makeup. I usually only wear concealer when I mean I go "without makeup" to the shops and nowhere else later on. Makeup on for me means wearing concealer, foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow and sometimes blush and contouring, if I want to.

I would like to know if you have had similar experiences? Or try the beauty experiment: Go to your favorite shop wearing no make up and notice how people (especially the shop assistants or the cashier) treat you. Do the same thing a few days later, but with make up on.

It irritates me that a "no make up" me is not as inviting as a made up one. Also, if I wear winged eyeliner, people tend to notice me more and are more polite than usually. Sometimes I forget that I am wearing that type of makeup and have to remind myself "It's okay, you just look really pretty or really intimidating with your winged eyeliner and your mascara-ed eyelashes. You didn't wear your sweater the wrong way around. It's all good."

Of course, it would be nice if our society appreciated make up free faces as much as make up-faced ones. Guess, this is just a wish not a real possibility. It's in our nature to draw our attention to enhanced aesthetics and nice looking people, there were even psychological experiments which have shown that people who are perceived as good looking earn a higher income and get jobs more easily (see the statistics here: *statistic brain).

If you want to know more about facial attractiveness, look here. The National Geographic has made a informative video and a website about the laws of attraction.

What do you think about these findings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner